Heart in the Clouds

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Gratitudes and Thoughts --May 18, 2010

So I guess I should start out by saying that my son, Liam, finished first grade yesterday. I am so proud of him and all the work he did. There were days where school felt like pulling teeth...everyone has days like that, I know, but overall he has kept a good attitude and has kept his little nose to the grindstone. He's a good boy and I can't wait to see the man he becomes...I just want him to grow up slowly. He's a smart, funny, intelligent, inquisitive and (as I said elsewhere) soft-hearted boy who loves with his whole heart. When you get on his bad side, you are REALLY on his bad side (we may need to work on the concept of forgiveness), but his bad side pretty much doesn't exist. Being his Mama is a privilege I will cherish for the rest of my life, and I hope I help him learn to make the best of his life and his talents.

I have to say, though, that this year of doing cyber school with Liam has taught me a lot about myself. I NEVER thought I'd be a home schooling parent. In fact, I can say I was almost anti-homeschool up until a year ago. When God pretty much dropped the idea of cyber school in my lap last year, I thought, "Naaah. That can't be the best option." However, once I did all my research and I made that comittment to personally take charge of his education, one-on-one, I have seen growth in Liam that I didn't expect. I have also seen growth in myself. I firmly believe that schooling at home isn't for everyone. However, I am sure that this has been the best decision for us for this year, and likely for next year.

See, I'm great with making decisions, but the follow-through is sometimes the hard part for me. I have always been a little ashamed of that fact. I guess a big thing this year of cyber school has taught me is that I can finish what I start. It also has shown me that God is bigger than my faults, and if he points me in the direction I should go, he'll give me the strength and endurance to get there. I seriously owe all of this past year to God. He has shown me that I shouldn't underestimate myself or my children.

So, all in all, it has been a stellar school year. Not only did Liam get 100% in pretty much every assignment he did, he got a sense of accomplishment and got a little glimpse of what he's capable of. I got a glimpse of what I'm capable of, as well. Throughout my life, but in the past year specifically, God has been my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, my refuge, my strength, my help in times of trouble...his amazing love for me and for my family has given me strength to continue and see this through.

I'm proud of myself. Yes, I said it. But I'm also incredibly grateful that God has given me the opportunity to stretch myself and to stretch my child's horizons just a little bit. I can't wait to see what happens next.
____________________________

I'm grateful for...

Hope. I could be going through one of the roughest times in my life, but when I get that one, little glimmer of hope, my whole countenance and attitude can change...if I let it.

Joy. It doesn't rely on everyday happiness, but it is a choice.

A t-shirt and yoga pants kind of day. I had some errands to run and things to finish, so I didn't feel like getting all dolled up. I like that I'm comfortable enough with myself now to have a day when I feel a little sloppy.

Vacation is only 2 weeks away! Hooray! 'Nuff said.

Green. I love green. Green trees. Green grass. Green plants. Green thumbs...ah, Spring.

My home. It's MY mess and it makes me happy.

Getting work done. Another Monday photo editing session at the "office" (aka. Panera) got the portrait session finished and ready to give to the client. Accomplishment is a good thing.

Good TV. Shallow, but true. Deal with it.

I hope you give yourself the opportunity to feel some gratitude today. Forget about the crap for now and let yourself feel the truth of the blessings in your life. God is always working on your behalf, so forget what lies behind and press toward your goal. Life is a beautiful gift. Don't lose a moment of it by focusing on the bad instead of the good. Focus on the virtuous things. God, your friends, your family, your home, your health, yourself! Focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment