Heart in the Clouds

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Grateful - 12/30/2010

Today, I'm grateful for...

An easy Christmas holiday. This past week has been great because it's gone slowly. Usually, it feels like our vacations or holidays go quickly, so this has been a welcome change.

A WHITE Christmas. As much as I loathe Winter, it was really, really nice to have snow falling on Christmas.

Encouragement. There will always be naysayers because that's just the way life goes. However, God puts encouraging people into our lives for a reason. It's so much harder to listen to the good and thumb your nose at the bad, but it's so important.

WWII marathons. Sean and I watched all of "Band of Brothers" in two nights and then all of "The Pacific" in ONE night. Yes, we're insane, but it was well worth it. Every time I watch things like that, that are based on the lives and experiences of real people, I come away from them with a deeper understanding and appreciation for the strength and fortitude of those who served. I also come away realizing the insanity of war.

Biting my tongue. It's something I've been trying to incorporate into my life over the past few years and it has been serving me well. There are many times in the past where I have said what I REALLY thought without filtering and without picking my battles, or I've spat out a quick retort without thinking. Those situations never ended well. In the last couple of years, I've seen a change in myself where, if someone says something I just let it hang in the air. I hold myself back from returning fire with a comment which (though true) would just end up making things worse. There's often wisdom in keeping your mouth shut.

Quiet. This past month, I have been away from my computer more often. I haven't watched TV much, other than a few movie nights and the occasional DVR catch-up session. The quiet has been great. A lot of what I do (photography editing, writing, etc.) is computer-related, so I welcome the change of pace.

My network. I have a lot of friends who live here in the Pittsburgh area and I have an even larger network of friends who live in other states and other countries. I value all of these friendships and they have gotten me through a lot of difficult times. They have made me realize that there ARE people I can lean on and with whom I can share my weaknesses.

I hope you know that there's wisdom in holding back. Some of the best advice I've gotten has been that hard times come and they pass, so don't make any rash or life-changing decisions when you're in the middle of an emotionally difficult time. Also, as I've been learning, there are times when it's important to keep your mouth shut. There truly is also a time for saying what needs to be said, but learning the difference is what's the most important. Sometimes humility is the most obvious in a person in what they DON'T say. God, help me to remember that. :)

1 comment:

  1. I have loved following you on this journey both on facebook & here. Your positive attitude is such an encouragement to all of us who "know" you.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete