Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer thoughts and thanks...

Just checking in!

As I said before, I have been taking a little break from writing the last while and it's been good. I am taking lots of photos and enjoying the summer with my kids. I have been editing my wedding work and also attempting to satiate my Instagram addiction...not happening. ;)

I am doing well, though. I got over the downturn I took not long ago...God is good about letting me wallow and then helping me get back up. I can't let the things other people do or say control me. If I do, I am putting them at a higher place in my life than God has - obviously not right. I have been pondering this scripture for a while, as well...

"He has shown you, O man, what is good; 
And what does the LORD require of you 
But to do justice, to love mercy, 
And to walk humbly with your God?"
Micah 6:8


So I am thinking that if those are the things that God requires, He isn't asking me to please everyone. He isn't asking me to worry about what others think of me. He wants me to think about justice and do the right things in His eyes. He wants me to be merciful, even to those whom I don't think deserve it (He has always been merciful to me, and I don't deserve it). He wants me to put Him first and just to walk with Him. Those are the keys to living a simple life.


I know I will never be able to fully rid my life of drama and those who create it because humans are humans, but I will continue to trust Him and listen to what He has to say about the people in my life. He has people in this world with whom He wants me to connect - some are close by, some are far away. He has things for me to do and be, and He is continuing the work in me.

So today I want to encourage you to sit back and look at your life. Look past the drama and the conflict. Look past the dark cloud days and see life for what it really is - a gift. We only get one go at it and it's a short one. We do reap what we sow, so try to sow encouragement, forgiveness and love. I am trying to do those things in my own life. I don't want to waste precious time on negativity. I'm not always successful, but God knows the motives of my heart. And He knows yours, too. That's all that matters.

Today, I'm thankful for...

Instagram. It's becoming a serious addiction, but I love that I can see other people's iPhone photos from all over the world instantly. Now all I need is an iPhone4...lol. Okay, so it's a want and not a need, but it would still be pretty fun.

My iPad2...I have been enjoying the crap out of the thing. So awesome and it was so thoughtful of my husband to get me something like that. It was unexpected, but it was a big blessing. He knows I'm not a "flowers and chocolates" girl when it comes to gifts. I like it when someone sees something simple and thinks of me, but I also like it when Sean sees something high-tech and thinks of me. Hee hee...(I'm a gadget girl and I've never been typical when it comes to anniversaries or birthdays. One year, all I wanted was a vacuum cleaner...albeit it was a Dyson, but still a vacuum. Another year, it was a fishing rod.)

Sean's job. He likes it and it gets him home from work by 4pm at the latest. How cool is that? I miss him being laid off, but I know he's a work-with-your-hands and keep busy kind of man. He's a hard worker and a conscientious one and I appreciate that about him.

A break. While homeschooling/cyber schooling can be an awesome thing, sometimes a family just needs a break. Thank goodness for summer! We are still doing educational activities here and there, but it feels nice to let it all go for a while.

Alone time. A few weeks ago, Sean took the boys to Canada for a week. At first, I was a little teary-eyed, but I decided to change my perspective. I realized that I could be sad or I could see the time as an opportunity to do things I didn't normally get to do. So I sat in silence as much as I could, I took a little road trip, I went out with friends almost every night. It turned out to be a lovely week and it was a great time. I spent a whole block of time with ME and I almost never get to do that.

Life isn't all about fun, obviously, but making the most of every day is so important. This is a reminder for myself as much as it is for you.









No comments:

Post a Comment