Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!


(Sunrise on the last morning of 2012)


I found this quote this morning as I was searching for thoughts about the new year. Words to ponder:

"We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives...not looking for flaws, but for potential."
- Ellen Goodman

Earlier this month, I wrote down some of my resolutions for 2013. Because I know that most typical resolutions fail miserably, I am resolving to do things like laugh more and spend more time with my family.

So many people use New Years Eve to look at themselves and think,

"This year, I need to lose this weight and THEN I'll be happy with myself."

"This year, I need to stop spending so much money and THEN I'll be satisfied."

"This year, I need to stop blah blah blah..."

While many resolutions are good goals, and they are readily achievable with the right mindset, there will always be the post-achievement letdown where we realize that happiness is a choice, not necessarily a list of achievements.

I am changing my view on what I want to see in my life and making it positive. Instead of thinking about all the things I need to take out of my life, I'm thinking about all the things I want to add into my life.

Instead of wasting my time imagining more ways to lose more weight, it's healthier to think about how I can add more smart practices INTO my life. Things that can make me a happier and healthier person all around, rather than just making me into a weight loss "after" photo. Instead of eating a burger and fries for lunch, maybe today I'll make a yummy spinach omelette with garlic hot sauce, or instead of taking the elevator up only two flights of stairs, I'll walk. Individual healthy choices and substitutions add up. If it becomes about denying yourself for an extended period of time, statistically, you will eventually fail. Human nature.

Learn to love who you are as you are now, and think of ways to add to the wonderful person you already are. Balance.

Instead of just thinking, "I need to get better at time management," I'm thinking about how I can add more positive, joyful and peaceful experiences INTO my life. How can I add in more opportunities for using my creative energy or chances to spend quality time with friends? Maybe I can actually do a few more of those things I've pinned on Pinterest. Maybe I can focus on creating more time to see the people I care about, and laughing with them and enjoying their company. Maybe I can help someone else achieve a dream.

This time next year, I want to be able to say I'm becoming a better version of myself. What are the areas where I want to grow and develop? What do I have in me that I can share with other people? What are the gifts I have that I can give?

This year, make resolutions that will add value to your life and the lives of those around you. As humans, we are generally happiest when we feel like our lives have value and depth.

Spiritual simplicity, health and value. That's what I want in my life this year and it's what I wish for all of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment